A 10-Point Plan to Cut Oil Use
Emergency measures can quickly cut global oil demand by 2.7 million barrels a day, reducing the risk of a damaging supply crunch.
With Russia’s invasion of Ukraine resulting in lower supplies to oil markets ahead of peak demand season, IEA 10-Point Plan proposes actions to ease strains and price pain.
The 10 key actions
- Reduce speed limits on highways by at least 10 km/h (6 miles)
- Work from home up to 3 days a week where possible
- Car-free Sundays in cities
- Make the use of public transport cheaper and incentivise micromobility, walking and cycling
- Alternate private car access roads in large cities
- Increase car sharing and adopt practises to reduce fuel use
- Promote efficient driving for freight trucks and delivery of goods
- Using high-speed and night trains instead of planes where possible
- Avoid business air travel where alternative options exist
- Reinforce the adoption of electric and more efficient vehicles